Yesterday I celebrated Labor Day by working on my pottery and hanging out with the Bartells. As I mentioned before, I did buy the fire-guard board to hang on the walls around the kiln and was waiting for Andrew to help me hang it. Chris Bartell decided he was feeling ambitious and was excited to tackle the project because “I am tired of waiting! Let’s hang this and you can fire the kiln today”! So, that is exactly what happened! Anna grabbed her camera to help me document the day!
This was a big day for me since I have never actually fired my kiln since I bought it! I am glad Chris was so eager to help me hang (and by me I mean him) the fire board because it was a needed push to start firing. I just can’t wait for the pictures to start showing colors from glazes. One step at a time though. I fired up the kiln at 2:30 pm for a fast bisque to cone 06 (1800 degrees). By the time it reached about 300 degrees I heard a pop and an explosion from inside the kiln. I quickly turned off the kiln and cracked open the lid to let some of the heat slowly escape. One of the big candlesticks I had made exploded during the rapid firing because there was an enclosed part of the candle that helped build up too much pressure within. Unfortunately the pieces that broke off hit another of my candlesticks and broke another as well. Good thing I made a few extra for error’s sake! By 3:00 pm I fired up the kiln again, but this time for a slow bisque to cone 06. The whole firing took roughly 10 hours. I just opened up the kiln today after work to find that the cycle had completed perfectly and all of my pots are bisqued properly. I love hearing the “ring” the pots now make when you tap them.