Easter is on its way and so are the eggs! I have been working on crystalline glazed Easter eggs to try to have them ready by April. I made a little over 50 of these eggs and wanted to give a couple a try. While my crystalline dishes were glazing (the ones from the last post), I tucked a couple of eggs in the kiln as my trial run. They came out great so I went to work glazing and loading up the kiln today.
The kiln was fired today around 2:40pm. If all goes well in the kiln, then I will be able to open the lid on Wednesday and have all the finished eggs for sale on Etsy no later than this Saturday (April 9). My only reservations about this kiln load was the way I stacked them in the kiln and the pedestals I used. Since I am now using kiln bricks, the finishing steps are much easier, however, they are not always as sturdy as the pedestal rings made from clay. I am praying this load goes well and that nothing topples! I used a wider range of glazes that I tried on these eggs. I mixed up new batches of copper and cobalt (my two most popular glazes) as well as an ivory crystalline and rutile. The rutile has become a favorite crystalline glaze of mine. The colors are an array of greens, yellows, and peach/pinks. Aside from solid colored eggs, I made a number of them multi-glazed. I am excited to see how these turn out.