In the midst of my kiln struggles, a woman from the south found me on Etsy and really like my work. She was particularly excited about my teapots and was quite familiar with crystalline glazing. The teapots I tend to make are a little bit larger, holding six to eight cups of tea. My squatty copper teapot caught her eye. She was drawn to both the shape and color when she sent me a message asking if I had any that were for one to two cups of tea: a personal-sized teapot. I didn’t at the time but offered to make it an order and create one for her. I went ahead and took on the commission since I was lead to believe that my kiln would be fixed in a week. Well that week turned into three months, as many of you know just from keep up with my blog! Needless to say, Joyce has been more than patient and her teapot is complete!
Like the two mugs I made that were featured in my last post, this teapot was made twice! When the first one was fired it looked great. I was really happy with how it came out. Of course, I had to remove the pedestal and collecting dish from the pot (this is where the breakage rate comes into play). So far so good, that is until I heard a loud pop. I froze! NO, no, no! Please no! Unfortunately I know that sound all too well; sure enough it had cracked!
One of the worst things when that happens is having to tell the customer who ordered it. I hope they will be understanding, since they will have to wait a bit longer for the second one. Luckily I thought ahead and had made two of them from the start. The second one was already bisque fired and ready to be glazed. Joyce was wonderfully patient and understanding.
It is going out in the mail today! Joyce, I hope you enjoy your teapot for a very long time! Thank you so much for your patience and encouragement too! I will have it posted on Etsy in an hour to complete the order.