I have been working on all aspects of this tree simultaneously, but for the last two days I have been focused on forming the roots. I will admit, I have been completely winging this step of the project more so than the other parts. Similar to the way I formed the tree trunks, I started out by throwing four tall cylinders and cut them in half. From there I took two of those halves and pieced them together to form the base for the roots. Then I just started sculpting and playing with it until I formed something I liked. I will say, clay has proven to sometimes be forgiving. At least it was for me yesterday.
Right now the roots kind of creep me out because they are looking rather “squid-like”. The basic shape and layout of the roots are complete, but I do plan to add extra small pieces to make the roots look more full. I had to keep placing the trunk base on top of the root portion to make sure the pieces would in fact line up together as a cohesive unit. I am really liking the progress so far. It is keeping me motivated to see the parts coming together.