I had high hopes for blogging this post before I left for Michigan, but alas, that did not happen. I still wanted to share this post with you, however, because it gives you a glimpse at how I was able to construct the leaf portion of the Jeremiah Tree. I had help with the frame-work from a friend from church. Thank you so much Dave Kjendal for all of your help! Such a blessing to me! I will also add that he made this frame for me out of Brazilian Mahogany! Once I had this frame, I started to stretch chicken wire over it and mold and shape it into place. It was secured by using the staple gun. After the chicken wire was in place, I had the tedious task of wiring on each leaf. It look a long time and after many scrapes and a few bleeding fingers, the tree was done!
Noah sat with me for a while as I worked. I actually didn’t get a whole lot done when he was with me, but I sure loved having him in my lap. He was just staring at the leaves as they were set into place. I didn’t finish this piece before we hit the road but I got a good chunk of it done before loading it into the van. Then I worked on wiring a few more leaves onto the frame in Buffalo. (We broke up the drive into two days, so we got to have an overnight with my in-laws.) Finally, the tree was finished in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Needless to say, it took a long time.
I have a lot more to post on our time in Michigan and of course, the final images of the Jeremiah Tree. It has been such a neat experience to be a part of so far.