A Pile of Pots


I have been waiting for weeks now, nearly a month actually, for my order of new elements and thermocouples to come in.  UPS literally just buzzed at the door with the delivery!  Looks like I will be wiring in the new pieces to my kiln next week.  It’s a task I don’t particularly look forward to, but it needs to be done.  I have become much quicker since I started doing my own kiln maintenance a couple of years ago and it is a great skill to have as a potter.  My kiln is still able to fire, but I am noticing a difference in my glazes.  The colors are not as vivid nor are the crystals growing like I want them to.  New elements and thermocouples make all the difference.  I had stopped glaze firing for a while and have just been firing to bisque.

One nice aspect about my work is I can continue to produce even though I am not using my kiln as often.  I have worked my way through 500 pounds of clay and the pots are starting to pile up on me.  They are all over the floor, inside of my kiln, on my shelves, and under my work table.  I could definitely use some more shelves in my new space.  I am excited to get all of these pieces fired and glazed.


Share on: FacebookTwitterPinterest